Hon. Mohamed Dahiye, Dadaab Member of Parliament.
1. You are reaching the end of your political expiry date with two terms coming to a close end, other than disbursing CDF to students, is there any flagship or signature project you initiated in Dadaab for the last 8 years?
If no, isn’t it pity that you left behind a glamorous career in medicine only to be remembered as another mediocre politician who could not transcend beyond the occasional unequal distribution of fees?
2. Why is information on your management of CDF so scant on public and online portals? and isn’t it a colossal conflict of interest to have your wife sit on the board of CDF?
3. The UNHCR facilities and infrastructure left behind after the relocation program ( schools, health centers and the rest) in Ifo 2 has reportedly been taken over by the county government but remains idle and exposed to wastage and the elements. Why are you not putting these resources to use?
4. Some of the worst cases of forced disappearance and summary executions have been orchestrated in your constituency, apart from paying lip service to the pursuit of justice and ranting on camera, what actual legal measures have you taken to address the issue of extrajudicial killings?
5. In a clip uploaded on YouTube in November 2018, you are heard scapegoating and blaming refugees for many of the problems ailing the county including claims that they caused desertification through logging and charcoal burning, trophy hunting, causing the extinction of endangered wildlife species and terror-related issues.
Are you such a cold-hearted populist? Why are you keen on using anti-refugee talking points to remain popular and relevant?
If you can’t help them integrate into Kenyan society if you can’t safeguard their humanitarian rights, why are you fanning the flames of xenophobia and stocking up anti-refugee sentiments across the country?
6. Why should anyone bother to study a 7-year medicine course after what you have done to the profession?
You’ve shown us that success, prestige, and money is only found in politics and that professions like medicine are just a distraction and a waste of time, haven’t you?
7. Kenya is perhaps the only host country in the world where children born to refugee parents remain status less – neither belonging to Kenya nor Somalia-
This has been the story of Somali refugees in Dadaab under successive local leadership, when will you ever fight in their corner to see them granted their international human rights?
Mr Deen is a Socio-Political Observer.
NFD Dispatch is committed to publishing a diversity of letters and opinion articles. We’d like to hear what you think about this or any of our articles. Here’s our email: email@example.com